About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Sunday 17 October 2010

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda….

If ever there was one man who knew a thing or two about life it was Albert Einstein. A rather random male muse for my meandering mind, I admit, but as I find myself today amidst the quagmire of yes-no-maybe mayhem of a seasonal spring clean, never have his sage words of wisdom been more apt…

Einstein tells us there are 3 rules of work: ''Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”

For me spring cleaning is ubiquitous to the seasons, and as frequent as time allows. Controversially, to live so much of life from a mini mobile wardrobe on wheels, it almost borders on the ridiculous just how much excess baggage you can actually acquire along the way. But there comes a time when the garage door (or the suitcase) just won’t close anymore and the only thing to do is get ready for the boot sale and donate the rest to charity.

Through observing Einstein rules #1 and #2, I have in fact succeeded in metamorphosing the science of de-cluttering into an art. My religious ritual for riddance is duly and divinely correlated to the healing power of my equally religious retail therapy. Make space. Replace.

Whilst there is something refreshingly rejuvenating in re-arranging your wardrobe with new additions, tags still on, Einstein's #3 goes beyond the material things in life and despite life's hectic pace, for this rule the ostrich must pull its head from the sand to find, or make, the space to re-place and keep the proverbial glass half-full.

Categorising clutter into yes and no is fairly simple but, regardless of the boredom from hoarding, are we all guilty of protecting the 'maybe'….just in case? These decisions are never just as straightforward - its always exciting to step out in new shoes, but there is a lot to be said for the comfort of the classics that never go out of style.

As I consider the difficult destiny of the maybe pile I am reminded once more of my movie nemesis Ryan Bingham and I set about the arduous task of re-packing my back-pack within the weight restrictions for the next trail of travel - Wil I wear it, or won’t I? Do I need it, or don’t I? Do I want it, or don’t I?

So, as I procrastinate but promise to unearth the buried treasure from the sand at the next best opportunity, I wonder - is it possible to have our cake and eat it, or when our needs are met, do we actually need them anymore?

‘Til next time, Pandora

1 comment:

  1. How true...but as you remark...have our cake and eat it sometimes calls us to the maybe pile thus reinforcing the fact that we need to declutter everything at once to reduce the maybe pile. So really this pile "does come back into fashion!"....doesn't it???

    ReplyDelete