About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Sunday 9 January 2011

New Year, NOT New You

I have never been one for New Year’s resolutions. I call it realism. Realism and a fairly solid recurring drop-out rate from my peer group that would suggest that, unless some form of miracle accompanies the 12 chimes of the New Year countdown, then 80% of your life in one year is fairly certain to continue just as it left the year gone by. 

It may be worth contemplating that and considering that it may be somewhat of a challenge to find the time to climb Kilimanjaro, call home every week twice a week, get to bed 1 hour earlier Sunday to Thursday, develop the perfect six- pack or, if truth be told, to hibernate long enough on bread and water to successfully eradicate your debt, especially when the chances of staying tee-total and non smoking for more than 5 days is relatively slim. Just a hunch….

According to Freud, the keystones to our existence are work and love yet, as I marvel with friends on their new year plans for perfection, I am conscious how few of the many promises of self improvement actually involve anything work related, or doing more of what they are good at?

Work-life balance is so-called because, controversially, it is in fact meant to have both in the mix. I wonder, however ...have we become impervious to what is good in our lives that we prefer to spend half our working day dipping in and out of Facebook to tell the world how difficult it is to function on a banana and 2 oz of brazil nuts whilst the guy down the office aptly grabs the promotion you could have so easily achieved?

It would appear that a happy New Year can only be awarded through some form of purgatorial cleansing.  An unspoken rule of being entered into punitively, whereby you can only truly achieve success by suffering, intermittently falling off the corresponding resolution wagon and ending up miserable by the time you inevitably come full circle, back to square one.

Call me old fashioned, but there is nothing that breeds success more as success itself so, as we enter into the second week of this New Year, I wonder is it perhaps perfect timing for the grand opening of the Second-Chance Saloon to swap the diet for hard work? I mean...why settle for being good, when you can so easily be great?

‘Til next time, Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment