About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Thursday 19 September 2013

Go West - Finding Designer Decadence in Donegal

I've been very tempted not to write this blog, purely for selfish reasons of secrecy, so that my hideaway in Donegal stay free for my whims to escape when the notion takes me. But, alas, it's too good not to shout about it and, if you get anywhere near as much love from it as I do, then I have done the right thing.

You might not think of boutique luxury in the same train of thought as remote coastal Ireland. You might think rugged walkways, green rolling hills, choppy seas and blustery winds. You might think traditional music, hand spun tweed, freshly caught langoustines and pintsof hearty Guinness. Well, you're right. It's all there.

But there's more. And it's this extra special more that clinches the deal for me in Donegal. The keys to boutique bliss at Gatsby House, in Ardara. Gatsby is a privately owned designer house, owned by the Swell Group, who have a small but perfectly accessorised portfolio of stunning properties in lens-perfect locations. 

So, think Vera Wang dinner sets, Smeg refrigerators, Farrow and Ball wall coverings, Molton Brown bathrooms and oodles of interior design to package it all up. 

It's not my first time to stay at Gatsby grandeur. Or my second. It certainly won't be my last.

If I could move here and live the peaceful life, forever, I would.


Every room is named as appropriately as it is designed to Hollywood glamour. My usual sleep takes on Ava Gardner, but I have enjoyed the comforts of Grace Kelly and, more recently, Cary Grant.

The house is now rented as a whole so sleeps 10 in the five luxurious en suite rooms.for a more intimate getaway,choose the adjoining Secret Cottage, adorably open plan and perfectly cosy for a getaway for two.

Cold Irish nights are best enjoyed with a turf fire and friends but it is impossible to avoid the call of good old Irish Craic at the Corner Bar. Day or night, great people with live music that rolls on to the wee hours.

Fresh air is in plentiful supply and I spend it best on the miles of stunning beach at Portnoo. Rain, sun, wind, it takes on new form on every visit and it the epitome of serenity and calm.

This is my secret getaway. Enjoy it, love it. But leave some free time for me to return.

'Til next time, Pandora


No comments:

Post a Comment