About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Sunday 2 March 2014

On Top of the World - from Taipei 101 to Burj Khalifa

Aim high. An apt motto for someone who spends as much time in the skies as I do, so it's a good thing I'm not afraid of heights.



Flying high is one thing. That has seat belts. Climbing high to the highest towers of the world is another but, you can't rock up to some of the most exciting cities with the most iconic landmarks and not go right to the top, right?

There are a few special highs in my photo book. New York, Empire State and Rockerfeller Tower, both a tourist must-do and both with memory making views over Manhattan.



I thought I'd reached my peak when I got to Taipei 101, all 508 metres of it. Even through the haze of city smog the views at sunset were to die for and, of course, safe in the knowledge that that will not topple over even if an earthquake rumbles below you. Luckily. I didn't have to test that theory.

But the Burj Khlalifa claimed the highest point in the record books, I had to update my highlife. Next chance I had to revisit Dubai, I was on a mission to climb to the top. Except you don't get to the top. It's 828 metres tall, but don't be expecting your Tom Cruise mission impossible moment. 


The highest public platform is in or around the half way mark, 428 metres. There is an outside walkway to look up, that's when you get the dizzy feeling. Look down that's when you lose your breath. Desert as far as the eye can see, surrounding the marvel that is the creation of Dubai. Skyscrapers, shopping malls, the Palm and the almost-there recreation of the World in sand.


Visibility will govern your wow factor. I hit lucky. But, as you come back down to earth, be sure to indulge in the luxury that lines the rest of the Burj. 

I lunched in Armani. The finest seafood, the whitest china, the crispest linens, the loveliest if meals overlooking the Khalifa fountains.

Aim high. It's worth the view.

'Til next time, Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment