About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Sunday 20 February 2011

The Stupidity of Cupidity…

I have felt somewhat of a moral obligation not to write this blog until this week, or at least not until the fragrant scent of eternal love has had a chance to truly blossom from is entwine with St Valentine. But, now that the novelty of romance has passed us all by, I feel I can comfortably rant without the risk of Cupid blasting me with his full quiver of arrows, for reasons not related to his search for unrequited love.

It may seem strange that I choose to relate the avarice of cupidity to the innocence of Cupid’s arrow. I mean how could there be a correlation between uncontrolled greed and chubby baby with angel wings that we associate with St. Valentine's Day? But, as unserendipitous as it may sound, this week as I have joined the drowning masses in a sea of love movies on TV, subliminally reminded to remember who I love and commercially encouraged to demonstrate my caring at a cash register, I have come to wonder….is there really such a thing as love at first sight, or is long-term love dependent on the price tag being right?

At the risk of bordering on hypocrisy with my anti-valentine advocacy, I will openly admit my own penchant for a posy. Indeed, had Valentine decided this year not to be mine, there quite possibly would have been a bigger price to pay than cupid’s stupidly over-priced bouquet of roses that were delivered anonymously to my door.

However, as I scrambled to duly return my obligation to bestow appreciation I wondered ... if love is really blind, then why are we so fixated in paying over the odds to be kind and what does love really say when delivered on Valentine’s Day?

Can the Cupid who covets extravagance really mean romance, or is it done because he needs a second chance? For the Cupid with a curfew, only able to be thine up to nine, is it because he has a significant other Valentine? And is the Cupid on a budget not worth it because he waits to the day after to show his love at half price, or is he the real true love, because he can in fact show his love twice for the same price?

So, before you see red for not being surrounded in red this Valentine’s, consider how the stupidity of cupidity might actually send a shiver through our real true-love Cupid’s quiver and think ….is being stalked by the SWALK really just all talk or what does it really mean to turn the act of love into the facts of love?

‘Til next time, Pandora

1 comment:

  1. Seems that way.. doesn't? Perhaps most of has accepted the casualties in relationships.

    ReplyDelete