About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Sunday 6 March 2011

The Power of Pie...

So it's National Pi Day. Yes, its own National day of hurrah. Not the cream or apple type, the multi decimal point mathematical type. I think everything has its day of celebration, these days - cupcakes, popcorn and pancakes...so, let's just make this more appealing to everyone and throw in the less academic pie to Pi Day, too.

There is, in fact, a rather uncanny correlation between the mathematical genius of PI and the alphabetical ingredients of PIE. Read on, grab a spoon, Its time to get somewhat pie-eyed over pie...

It's quite possible that my life-long dessert dilemma, 'To Eat or Not To Eat', has triggered this sudden revived obsession with pie possession. I mean, faced with a life of refute and abstinence, I wonder...have my taste buds subconsciously been on an eternal search for some form of scientific pie-thagarus theorem that might justify the calorific conundrum that challenges every post-dinner endorphinal rush?

Interestingly, by its own proven mathematical calculation, pi is an infinite decimal and as such is mathematically known as irrational, so I guess it is really no surprise that my recurring third-course mental dialogue always results in denial winning over longing...

However, this week, since unearthing this pictorial peace-maker I have found myself exploring my thoughts on the power of pi on pie itself and I wonder....have I finally discovered the secret to having my cake and actually eating it?

By definition, pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Stay with me -  Pi is always the same number, no matter which circle you use to compute it, large or small.

If we consider, therefore, our circle to be our plate and our slice of perfect pie to extend the width (diameter) of this plate....then doesn't the logic follow that regardless of the size of the plate, your pie will always be the same? Genius. Where is that waiter...?

So, next time you ponder over pavlova or exchange banoffee for a boring coffee, ask yourself ....is the restrain worth the pain or if, in just 3.14 scientific seconds, you can truly enjoy your just desserts...?

'Til next time, Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment