About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Thursday 2 May 2013

One Night in Bangkok and the World's your Oyster...

...three nights, and it's a fine line between being saint or sinner. There is everything in Bangkok, just like the movies show you, so what becomes of you really does depend on what you're after. I am the first to declare my undying love for Bradley Cooper but, flying home with a face tattoo wasn't the Bangkok I was looking to see. But you can. In fact, there is a Hangover II tour, designed to give you that very cultural enrichment, if you so desire.

No, not I. As obviously touristy as my path may follow, one cannot visit Bangkok without doing the rounds of the Buddhas and temples. They are exquisite, each and every one more magnificent than the next, from the holiness of the tiny but precious Emerald Buddha to the 46m-long gold-covered Reclining Wat Pho.

My show stopping moment of the tourist trek was the Grand Palace. Golden, glittering, glamourous, godly and gracious. I was wowed into silence. The reverence consumes you, you really do find yourself in a deeper state of contemplation.

How do you top that? Halfway through day one, and surrounded by street sellers trading human teeth, I was afraid I might soon be resorting to the back street block buster tour bus. 

But I had my own palace to return to, the Shangrila Bangkok, like a real-life palace for mere mortals. Just as much bling, layers of luxury, incredible service.

Breakfast by the Chao Phraya river to start your day, watching Bangkok come to a commuting life on boats and barges. Relax pool-side for spa and massage, or cool down as dusk drops with a moonlit dip in the infinity pool, to a backdrop of the impressive city skyline.

After dark, take to the rooftops. Yes, Bangkok has grown up and is playing with the cool kids. There is rooftop cocktail scene to challenge Manhattan, restaurants that will blow you away - Sky bar at Sirocco hangs 63 floors above Bangkok and is the world's tallest bar. It's so cool, its hot, but humidity hot, so think about your wardrobe to stay chic in the heat.

By day, step out of the city. A tour guide can coordinate some great cultural sightseeing. My favourites, the floating market at Damnoen Saduak. 

This is Thailand as you see on travel shows and it's exciting and enticing. Ok, its gridlocked with boats of floating tourists, but it's unashamedly great and you can really get your barter on.

Next stop, the tiger sanctuary. This left me forlorn. I can't quite get to grips with the fact (or fiction) that there is no sedation here. How can I really hand stroke fully grown carnivores? I can only hope the buddhist monk carers are doing this for the right reasons, but I'm not convinced the amazing photo opps don't have a slightly less spectacular story.

Lastly, my trip into history. Ride the train around Death Railway - phenomenal views of the stunning countryside and such an experience winding over Hellfire Pass. This and walking across the bridge over the river Kwai - these are moments that will stay with you, and to be just a few hours outside of Bangkok you really get to see more of the Thai countryside and people.

A amazing city, better than I might have given it credit for. A city of many shades, one night in Bangkok is just not going to be enough to be your oyster.

'Til next time, Pandora

Photos: Pandora Skies and Sirocco

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the tips. This really helps in planning my own bangkok trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bangkok is amazing, i def recomendados the Shangrila too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saved аs a favoritе, ӏ reallу liκe your site!
    BTW: Phuket Travelling site is a really good guide. I found it helpful and I thought that I would share it Phuket Guide, Infomation, you can find, check cheap ticket, best hotel from here | www.phukettravelling.com | PATONG

    ReplyDelete