About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Thursday 18 April 2013

All Things Bright and Bloomsbury....(and a bedroom very small)

I have blogged in the past about my "Search for Design Intervention" on my regular hotel planning around the world. So my somewhat hymnal introduction to my stay in London this week seems appropriate to carry on this theme and, indeed, testament that sometimes the retreat for sleep is not always heavenly.

My usual forward planning got turned on its head in London, this week, as I was obliged to cancel my perfect pillow plans, last minute, to relocate to my clients' abode. Their hotel was, in fact, MyHotel. Which is ironic, given it was not my first choice but, yes, last-minute booking found me a room at MyHotel Bloomsbury (award winning 4 star boutique, according to their website).

My experience at MyHotel was a game of two halves. An episode of Upstairs, Downstairs in reverse. An uber-modern Downton Abbey, of sorts, but with the lower quarters much more pleasing than life above ground floor.

Now, arriving late to the party rarely guarantees you the best seat in the house, so I have to be humbly opinionated about being assigned a tiny room, given I booked just hours before arrival. But there is small, and there is bijou. I was in the latter, the sense of space not helped by frosted windows, turquoise walls and dark magenta bedding accessories.

The flat pack furniture was trying to be minimalist, maybe had seen better days, but I was grateful at least for the oversized bed - it may well have eaten up precious floor square footage, but it was the only thing making my corner feel welcoming and less claustrophobic. And, credit where credit is due, I had an insanely good night's rest.

Decor in hallways and, from what I see on the website, in the other rooms has better married the use of bold colour block. Perhaps this is where the boutique awards were granted. For me, the use of bright and bold seemed to contradict the efforts to create a hotel-zen and my personal room experience felt more youth hostel than boutique, bed excepted. 


Let's go downstairs. The zen feng-shui is more aligned. There is a buzz that is young and vibrant, the lobby area has a dotcom feel about it. Buddha statues, fish tanks and super bright sweetie dishes decorate an open plan reception that is sandwiched between Gail's Artisan Bakery and Gails Kitchen, both an integration of MyHotel Bloomsbury dining facilities. Compact, too, but ample. There is also a clever remote working, non-corporate, concept here with meeting and office space that attracts the office denim wearing, no tie type. Laid back and lovely.

This is good. Ochre leather banquettes provide a laptop free zone to chill over the newspapers. Cool loungerino music adds a daytime vibe and mellows by night. Cocktail shaking, good food, glossy mags and a a stylish blend of rustic wood with barstool and wire framed chairs. Design here works, and dining is good (seriously, breakfast practically transports you to Provence).

So, am i a budding fan of MyHotel Bloomsbury? I might not quite extend to a blooming marvellous, but there is a blossom of positivity. My advice - book early and bag a big (bigger) room. Oh, and have the Danish for breakfast, Gail knows how to magic the perfect pastries.

'Til next time, Pandora

Photos: pandora skies and myhotels Bloomsbury 

No comments:

Post a Comment