About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Monday 22 April 2013

Swan Break - A Night at The Sofitel

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, the chances are it's a duck. That's how I feel about airport hotels. Same experience, same disappointment, same 'Wish I wasn't there'. Quack, quack.

It's the footfall, the transience, the somewhere to lay your head for the night mentality that puts me off. In general, I try to avoid airport hotels. I'm happy to travel in and out of the nearest city to stay elsewhere, even if it is the same name over the door. I guess I have a more in-depth relationship with a hotel - so many nights away, a hotel for me is an extension of my home. I don't want to feel like I am at summer camp.

But, there are times where they are a must. Last flight in, first flight out and, dare I say it, somewhere to lay your head for the few hours in between.

And so unfolded my Friday...I took the proverbial bull by the horns and booked to stay at the Sofitel, at Heathrow's Terminal 5. Covered walkway, convenience, click, done. And breathe...and wait for the quack....

No quack came. The Sofitel was not such an ugly duckling. This was no ordinary covered walkway - it was a catwalk, lined with pictures of luxury cars and surrounded in a fresh scent of jasmine, or lily of the valley or something opium-esque that had a lure like the poppy field that captured Dorothy on the yellow brick road.

Through to the upper lobby, a glow of blue LED lights guides you through modern statues and down escalators to reception, more art and fabulous chandeliers.

I'm a sucker for a chandelier. Sofitel, you had me at Hello.


My preconceived ideas subsided. I'm not sure if there is a use of white noise, but there certainly wasn't crowd noise, nor overnight bar revellers, nor standing room only lobby space. This was as sleek as an inter-city Sofitel, right through to fresh decor of the bedrooms. 

Ok, they missed the homeliness of flowers or a personal touch but they were roomy, muted colours, had leather lounge seats and cool technology. The bathrooms were spacious, with fluffy towels and robes, walk-in monsoon showers and luxury toiletries from The White Company. Early start or not, this was well invested sleep.

Room service and breakfast in Vivre - great food and incredibly friendly service. Somewhere to lay your head? Well, you might just want to plan an extra day before you fly out again. Sofitel quacks the mould. The airport hotel has finally spread its wings and grown into a beautiful swan.

'Til next time, Pandora

Sofitel, Terminal 5, London Heathrow Airport, London
Photos: Pandora Skies and Sofitel


No comments:

Post a Comment