About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Thursday 2 December 2010

Elementary, My Dear Watson...

This week has been one of the fortunate weeks of my schedule than combines far-away travel with travail, taking me to one of my most coveted locations in Asia. If I consider all of the places I am so fortunate to visit, there is simply nothing more terrific than working from the Pacific - unless of course your journey has also replaced unexpected snow time with well respected sunshine…

Travelling to work in a completely opposite time zone, however, has challenges of its own and, as my working days flip to working nights and the minutes of my wall clock tick in reverse to my body clock, I find myself falling into a deeper non-sleep that has lost all concept of time and any ability to unwind.

Feeling appeased at my ease to avoid the big freeze, it would appear however that by escaping one set of elements I am now faced with the need to embrace another. My inability to rest presents a new elementary quest and, as I fall deep in the trap of insomnia iniquity I wonder ....how long it will be before I re-discover tranquillity?

In an effort to break the cycle of insomnia, I embark on a journey of the Chi that uses the Five Elements as the perfect sleep defence and where the daily design of your element sign promises relaxation through yin-yang harmonisation.

Day One I am told my element is Earth – a sign of peace and harmony, I am at my best at night and dislike the cold...Impressed, I undress to de-stress, once the story told the massage is sold!

Day Two it seems my element is now Fire – charismatic and loyal with a skill to inspire, still at my best by night I'm told I have vision and insight but , as I get ready once more for my yin and yang to restore, I am how desperate to know if sleep is to follow....  

Day Three, the clock chimes nine for my back-to-front breakfast time - as I proceed outdoors to have tea in thirty degrees I am now much too tired to even try to be inspired...

So, as I bask in the bright light of what is in fact night, I think back on my luck at escaping the snow and rain and I wonder ...am I in fact proof of the paradoxical refrain or is it indeed true that for every pleasure there is pain?

'Til next time, Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment