About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Tuesday 14 December 2010

The Ghost of Christmas Presence

We are all aware that there lies an importantly deep and meaningful reason behind the seasonal festivities of Christmas but, in today’s modern age, it is fair to say there is a growing tendency to be somewhat of a stranger to the story of the manger.

Christmas has gone super-sized and super early - choirs of carols serenade us from early November, trees and lights sparkle before its even December and, as I merrily check off the last of my Christmas shopping list, I wonder ....just how much and for how long have we been subliminally brainwashed on the things to buy to make this year the Christmas to remember?

Regardless of the increasing expense that accompanies the commercial bandwagon, however, the real joy of Christmas continues to be the joy of giving and, adding the finishing touches to my own seasonal offerings, I consider if perhaps our desire to spend is simply our inheritance from the Three Wise Men? ...I mean, just as the Three Kings crossed deserts far to offer gold frankincense and myrrh, has our religious reverence simply joined a modernised Holy Grail of retail, now Christmas-commoditised instead to consider it sold, buy without sense and always want more?

Undoubtedly our gifts play an  important role in peace and joy on Christmas morning but, as I package mine up to be ready for the tree on the 24th, I recall the memories I have had on many Christmases before and how my celebrations changed as I spent the holidays in other nations... 

...Yuletide in Europe eating late on Christmas Eve and waiting to January 5th to give and to receive. Sunshine and heat for Australian Christmas treats with barbies by the sea to use leftover turkey. And ringing in New Year in Spain away from the rain, with 12 bell-toll grapes to mark new year fate….

But this year its home where my memories will form and, as I place boxes and bows under the tree in anticipation of Santa’s apparition, I reflect on family and friends far away that won't share my day and I wonder…..what is it that would really make the perfect Christmas...opening their presents or sharing their presence?

 ‘Til next time, Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment