About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Monday 6 December 2010

Wish You Were Here…

This weekend I was tasked with the arduous chore of après-voyage luggage laundry - the one that separates the worns and washing from the wardrobe replenishing and that repacks the clean and pristine, ready for another week on the corporate machine. Due to sheer practice, it could be said that I have evolved the order of a suitcase to championship status but, as I swap out the old and begin the refold, even I have to question my relentless urge to add increase my carriage, and how much of the ‘in-case’ will actually ever leave my case?

Regardless, however, of what I pack to depart my roller case is guaranteed to return more like a shopping cart and, like many, the one item that is never missed from any of my trips is the prized possession that maps every new destination - the treasured tat of the souvenir fridge magnet...

Unwrapping the trinket tackiness from my packing always makes me grin because this travel acquisition has come to represent a sibling competition and, as I add my latest magnetic force to the family fridge door, I reflect on what each one means on our life experience and I wonder ...as we travel and wander what can really be caught on camera, or what are the true moments of magic that make us truly nostalgic?

For each of us our memories are diverse from our places traversed and as much as we aim to capture our memories and moments in our presents and photos...for me, my most cherished times are defined by the things that I find. 

My passage to India recalls strong colours and noise with crazy cars giving way to sacred cows.

In Thailand I found peace and enchantment with a humbling memory of trekking with elephants.

Manila, perhaps a surprise, embodies art and style but every perfect moment is caught in a smile and where, whether from wealth to poverty, kindness is coveted.

New York will always have my heart, for the pace and the pie, fab yellow cabs and just reaching the sky. In Europe its Rome that I would happily call home, fashion with passion that speaks con i gesti and embodies divertimenti.

And I have had many moments of wonder when travelling down under, from Sydney to Perth saw all of Australia’s worth, but my most treasured embrace was the huge sense of space and I recall the hours on a beach with infinite reach.

.....and my thoughts could go on but, as I explore the well-journeyed fridge door, I consider how quickly we allow to get lost are our memories and thoughts and wonder ....can they be truly endorsed by this magnetic force or how do we ensure we don't lose this hidden treasure, and perfect our connection with our best recollections?

'Til next time, Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment