About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Saturday 25 December 2010

The Gift Whisperer…

I have to confess that Christmas is quite possibly my most favourite time of the year and, despite the commercial overdose that has sleigh bells ringing in our ears for weeks before the advent calendar is even on the wall, for me there is nothing more exciting than the countdown of the 12 days of Christmas as it leads every day more intrepidly towards the pinnacle of the perfect gift for the 25th.

Getting gifts right, however, requires the acute skill of insight and, through intuitive listening, interprets random whisperings that in turn are guaranteed to unearth the hints that form the perfect presents. I'm not sure if this is a skill widely practised, or possessed, or if it has evolved from being somewhat Christmas obsessed...

As I think back on my own childhood memories, I recall the innocence of never quite knowing just how Santa Claus knew exactly what to bring on Christmas Day?

For many years we had a family tradition of writing our letters and sending them up the chimney in flames, later evolved to posting to an unknown address in Lapland and with age, as the secret of Santa was exposed as a myth, have still nurtured the secret to giving the perfect gift. Indeed, with hindsight, I wonder if perhaps the power of  this belief has in fact been the training for my gift-giving ESP?

But, for every moment of Christmas magic, there are non believers who are scrooges and cynics and, as I bestow my own gifts to friends and loved ones this year I wonder …have we simply become lethargic at being cathartic or is it just easier for some of us to carry the persona of being the Christmas moaner, rather than to be bothered to delight someone beloved….?

So, as one Christmas ends and a new year begins, think ahead for the next moments you’ll share with someone you care and remember, all it really takes is to be a good listener to become a Gift Whisperer, and you can light up their eyes with the perfect surprise....

‘Til next time, Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment