About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Monday 6 September 2010

High Society or i-Society…?

Hypothetically speaking, if I was to admit a weakness, it could be that I am susceptible to the lure of materialism and fashion, adorned with the latest ‘It' accessory. Yet controversially, without any logical rationale, I have become subconsciously i-phobic, with an unexplained personal battle to not-join Generation-i.

Like most of you the one must-have in my life is my cell phone, my Blackberry, to be precise. I hesitate to say it is my raison d’être, a statement to which my friends who have enrolled me in Blackberry Anonymous will undoubtedly choke, but such is my lifestyle I shall admit that it certainly assists me to be in control. It awakens me in the morning. It tells me where I have to be and when. It lets me chat with friends, and do my job on the go. It gets me online. In short, it works.

This afternoon over lunch I found myself seated alongside a group having mid-day beers. Above the noise a brief rendition of Star Wars denotes an incoming text (loud is apparently the new i-cool). One by one, on point, it started. The i-phone effect…each of the group produce their i-phone, fastest-finger-first sliding over the screen, head nodding, wry smiles. All conversation stopped. Not a peep, not even eye contact. A perfect display of how the positive Darwinian selection of i-phonatics has trumped the humble crackberry.

The i-phad phenomenon is not new, but the reason for it to have caught my attention began this morning...

I found myself street-lost, searching for a place I had not been to before. As one does, I approached the most friendly (ok, attractive and friendly) local to ask for directions.

Faster than the speed of light, said attractive and friendly local whipped out a shiny i-phone (v4, obviously) and, voila, within nano-seconds he has sent me on my way. He had an app for that.
Mr Street-Finder got me thinking of my uncharacteristic self-denial of the most powerful i-con yet - earlier this year my very good friend M introduced me to the wonders of Shazam. He has an app for that. Another friend proudly showcases his funniest TV comedy each time we meet. He has an app for that. I even know someone on a health trip, goes running every day. She has an app for that. And then there are the i-geniuses who are programmed to i-fix these super-gadgets, although ironically only with a pre-booked appointment. Yes, even when broken there is an ‘app’ for that!

Its not that I' socially inept - I’m socially un-app'd! ‘Plug and Play’ and I’m off. Downloading, and I have instant narcolepsy. Maybe I just need an app for that…..

‘Til next time, Pandora


4 comments:

  1. Is it just me or are they getting bigger? so much texting is developing a nation of fat fingers - Give it 12 months and the I-Pad will be the new Nano!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny, anonymous! A lot can happen in 12 i-months so we shall see...until they make it work for manicures then I'm out. unless there is an app for that, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guilty as charged! I have to say as an Iphone user, I wouldn't trade it in for anything else. There's an app for literally anything and everything....not too sure about a manicure though. But I'm sure someone somewhere is working on that. Haha!

    stylebouquet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Abi, you are one of many i-devotees. Just when i considered breaking my vow of chastity, they go an bring out FaceTime. I mean, there are just times in a girl's day when that is not a good idea! Nice blog you have too...

    ReplyDelete