About Me

My photo
A life in the skies. A life that is more than a little less ordinary. A life and career that transports me from city to country, but rarely to home. Along the way I get to live the dream, discovering a myriad of new and wonderful things. I love all things fine. Deluxe. Quite possibly ostentatious. But always with style. And I am zealous for life, love, people and friends and all the quirky nuances that all of that brings. Enjoy the ride!

Friday 17 September 2010

Sugar and Spice and All Things High-Priced....

This week I have been somewhat nostalgic, in a good way, but my retro-vision has led me to reflect on how quickly time can pass and how people’s lives evolve in so many different directions. By no means is it a critique - my life path may have taken me to the skies, indeed quite possibly left my head in the clouds, but in parallel I have realised that when on terra firma my life less-conventional means I have become ‘that’ friend…

….Manolos have been boxed up for baby-grows, 3 inch stilettos have been abandoned for 3 wheeler buggies, my dancing-queens have slowly become the yummy mummies. Moi, au contraire, my late nights remain committed to bottles of Moet rather than hot milk, but as much as I have avoided the baby hangover I do admit there is nothing more rewarding than stepping off the dance floor to spend time with said Baby Ga-Ga. (Terms and Conditons apply - a pre-determined curfew, is fully return to sender, no proprietary connections. Even an over-night is probably still too much to expect).

But as I observe from the side lines, I am amazed at the incredible capital expenditure needed to sustain the x-factor lifestyle of our next generation. Nurture has well and truly won over nature, and comes with a hefty $ and £ price tag.

Quicker than the new millennium mites can say American Express they are all carrying the latest DS, networking on laptops, a mobile is a must-have cool for school accessory and our weekend mini-diaries are just choca with ballet, piano, tennis and soccer practice.

The world of kidulthood has gone designer, right down to your first set of wheels (buggy and bike). But a gadget filled trunky is often not enough - cute quickly turns diva, please becomes a foot stomp and the naughty step is a game-play. 

For the Slinky/Dinky onlooker, whose noise pollution is easily controlled by a volume dial, I hold a somewhat perplexed admiration for the Stepford Wife Stroll that can zone out of the chaos and still put the cherry on the home-made cup-cake without the aid of prosaic.

I’m told it’s all worth it, ‘best feeling ever’. No doubt. For me, I can’t quite get beyond the 9 month purgatory or nappies - some things quite frankly are never designer. For now my bedtime story shall be a one-off, not nightly, and tell of the not-so-old woman who lived with her shoes, not in her shoe.

'Til next time, Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment